Our Trainee Cable Engineers operate within the Cable Operations Department. The role is a sea-going position where you can expect to be mobilised to a cable ship or cable barge in various locations around the world for approximately 8 week commissions dependent on project requirements.
You will have the opportunity to obtain a range of training to enable you to develop and progress within the Cable Engineering department. Areas of involvement will begin with familiarisation with Cable Engineering Department equipment suites, testing of cable & systems, planning and carrying out preparations for and being involved with cable installation and repair.
The actual work from project to project may be in the fields of undersea telecommunications cable, submarine power cable or within oil and gas sector.
If you’re looking to apply for the role, simply fill in the form and attach the latest copy of your CV.
After successful commissions, training and completing cable engineering competencies trainees will be promoted to a Third Cable Engineer role. In this position you can expect to:
- Assist carrying out the cable engineering requirements of the operation being performed as required by the Second Cable Engineer and Chief Cable Engineer.
- Assist in ensuring test room is operationally ready and ensure that all logs, records and accounts are correctly maintained. Carry out the maintenance, testing and calibration of all equipment under the control of the department.
- Assist with the compilation of data and records following repairs and installation.
- Assist in supervising cable jointing and assessing the radiographs and quality of cable joints.
- Assist the vessels network and computer administrator and support all I.T. requirements onboard.
- Carry out Optical & Electrical testing and fault analysis of optical fibre and power cable systems
- Carry out all operations in a safe manor adhering to the defined procedures and safety protocols.
- The role requires initiative, good mathematical, computer, communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team and independently when required. Experienced gained in engineering with a strong electrical/electronic background is desirable.
- Willingness to work on-board a sea-going cable ship on rotation.
- HNC / HND or degree qualification in Electrical/Electronic engineering or similar qualifications in a related area.
- A time served apprentice with a recognised qualification in an appropriate engineering subject such as NVQ Level 3 / HNC / HND is preferred but qualifications, skills and suitable experience below this will be taken into account.