The Third Engineer may be employed on watch keeping or day work duties at the discretion of the
Chief Engineer. The Third Engineer shall be accountable to and report through the Second Engineer
and shall undertake duties as allocated or directed by the Second Engineer and to carry out duties
depending on ship manning/operational requirements.
- Be responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the machinery and equipment for which he has been allocated responsibility.
- Diligently carry out, in a safe and efficient manner, any task to which a Senior Engineering Officer has directed him.
- Be familiar with the machinery and system so that, in an emergency, essential services can be safely and speedily restored. The Third Engineer must fully understand, and abide by, Company policies, work permits, procedures and instructions, and the Code of Safe Working Practices.
- Assist with overhaul, maintenance and survey work as directed by a Senior Officer.
- Ensure that any information he enters in the engine room log, maintenance records, oil record book, water condition logs and other records, shall be accurate.
- Notify the Second Engineer of spare gear and consumable requirements as applicable.
- Keep the Second Engineer fully informed as to the progress of any work, which he has undertaken, any defects or problems arising in his allocated area of responsibility.
- Comply with Company and statutory engineering watch keeping guidelines.
- Be prepared to adopt other duties within remit of multi-skilling objectives as agreed and advised prior to appointment.
Second Engineer, or another officer as instructed.
Promotion criteria & required competence
- Meet the promotion criteria laid out within the Careers within the GMSL Fleet Guidance Document (GMSL-A-GU-0003)
- Possesses the required competencies for this rank as detailed within the Fleet HR System (CASYS)
- EOOW CoC unlimited
- UK CoC/CeC
- Valid STCW documents
- ENG1 medical or equivalent
- US C1D visa (if available)
- Valid passport
- Fully vaccinated (COVID)
- Offshore vessel experience